Hey there! I am beyond blessed to be the wife of Mark Andrew and the stay-at-home-mommy of Quinn and Morgan! I love to decorate, create things, and generally make life more beautiful! Come join me, and let's see what we can make today!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Find Previous Projects:

Featured Favorites:
Faux Fireplace

Bustle Dress


DIY Tutu

Boys Room Makeover

Glazed Cabinets

Hidden Section
« How to make a tutu | Main | It's here! »

How did the Festival go?

That is the question that many of you have been asking, and the short answer: really well!  The long answer is, well, it's a long answer!  Saturday morning turned out to be a little drizzly and cool, but my sister and I were not going to let a little rain get us down.  My husband helped us set up the canopy, and we started unloading the displays and tutus in the light rain.  The craft show portion of the festival was set to open at 10am.  At 9am it was pouring, and my positive attitude was heading south.  To make matters worse, there was a booth across from me where the guy was selling very enormous wooden flutes, along with CD's he had made of himself playing the flutes.  He was playing one of his "albums" on a little CD player, and he also gave us a live concert with some of the flutes he had on display.  If this sounds amusing, it was.  For about two minutes.  After that, I thought I was going to blow a gasket.  Did I mention I was a little cranky?  The tutus were getting soaked and blowing all over the place.  NO ONE was out shopping.  I was cold.  And the guy with wooden flutes could apparently not see my stop-with-the-flutes-already-before-I-lose-it look, because he just kept playing.  At one point I turned to my sister and said, "I think my first show is going to be my last!"

That was all before noon.  At noon, the sun came out and so did the crowds.  I sold some tutus and took LOADS of orders.  I handed out tons of business cards and made some really great contacts.  By the end of the day I was exhausted, but had decided I shouldn't swear of craft shows just yet!  

Sunday turned out to be gorgeous.  Not a cloud in the sky and 80 degrees.  There were so many more people out--it was great!  I sold a lot of tutus, but still came home with over 60!  (My final count for what I took to the show was 108 tutus!)  My goal was to sell everything.  Totally unrealistic, but hey!  You gotta have goals! At first I was disappointed with the way everything worked out.  I really didn't want to be taking so many tutus home.  Plus, when I looked at all of those unwanted tutus, all I could see was the many, many, many hours I spent making tutus when I could have been playing with my babies or hanging out with my husband or even doing laundry!  

However, that disappointed feeling quickly left after I talked with some other vendors and found out that they didn't even sell enough to cover their booth fee, which was $175.  I decided that that would have totally stunk, and I should not feel disappointed.  I made quite a bit of money--for a stay at home mom anyhow!  And while I did have a lot of tutus to take home, people did buy more than 40 of my tutus!  Something that I created and worked really hard to make, and people actually wanted them!  Plus, I had so many orders, and the Festival was a GREAT way to get my name out to the community.  

My sister, Michelle, and me working on last minute details Friday night

Michelle checking something off our list (We love lists!  We make lists of lists! I am posting this pic for all the other list makers out there!)

Some of the tutus ready to be loaded in the van

Sunday morning at the Festival of the Vine

All in all, it was a success.  I might even do it again next year...or maybe not!  We'll have to wait and see!  

Reader Comments (3)

Wow, Holly!!
I know that the Festival was a lot of work, but I would call selling 45% of your inventory and getting lots of additional orders a huge success for your very first show = )
Starting a new business is quite a big process, and it sounds like you're off to a great start!
Your booth looks so cute and well organized too.
Sounds like you also made lots of good contacts, which is important for future business.
Hang in there!!!

September 26, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterDeb

Hi Holly,
Sure enjoyed reading your festival update and seeing the pics. Your sign and booth turned out great! Your tutus are just as cute as can be. Fabulous that you sold 40+ and made so many connections.
P.S. Talley was wearing her tutu while doing her homework tonight. :)

September 27, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterJeanette

Hello, I was wondering how you stored all your tutus while waiting to bring them to the craft fair. And I was wondering how you got the tutus all to the the craft fair without them winkling. I'm going to be in a craft fair in Colorado in two months my problem is I don't know where to store them and I'm worried if I put them in totes that they're going to be wrinkly by the time the craft fair comes around which would mean I would need to iron them or steam them which would be time-consuming. Thank you so much for any help your able to give. Glenda

March 1, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterGlenda

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.

My response is on my own website »
Author Email (optional):
Author URL (optional):
Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong>